Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Miracles in Siena!


Cara Famiglia,

Another week in the mission always equals another week of miracles. This week it was really hot, but the work of the Lord moved forward. We saw some really cool miracles.

The first was a referral from a new convert, a Sri Lankan woman named Chiara who has been here in Italy for 20 years. She literally came out of nowhere, but when she says "We can even meet every day if it means I can get baptized faster" should tell you how elect she is! We have set a baptismal date with her for the 26th of August, and it will be a great day. She is so ready for the gospel and so humble. She is also going through a really tough time with no job and some family troubles, and it's somewhat tough to teach her because she doesn't have money to buy reading glasses so she can read the Book of Mormon. But we are helping her out and she is loving everything and the spirit she feels. Missionary work rocks!

We've also been having a lot of success finding with the most recent finding fad in the Italy Milan Mission -- the whiteboard! We have a little whiteboard and we write a yes or no question (our most favorite recently is "In these days does God still speak to us?") and just go around asking people. It's a really great way to break the ice and we always have great invites to people to hear more about the Restoration. It is a great way to switch things up.

We are still teaching Kellan although we are still trying to find a translator. We have a number of possibilities, the biggest problem is just scheduling.

Other than that everything is fine and dandy. It seems as though the Lord is blessing us in the month of August, when most people see the opposite because everybody in Italy goes on vacation for the entire month. The work is always increasing though. I am really happy here!

I am a big fan of some hymns recently. I have especially liked Lead, Kindly Light. Here are the lyrics:

1. Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene—one step enough for me.

2. I was not ever thus, nor pray’d that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.

3. So long thy pow’r hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

I especially like the second verse and the power we have in turning over our heart to the Lord. Yesterday in Interviews Sorella Wolfgramm gave an awesome training about living a Christ-centered life. I promise that as we give everything to the Lord we will be so much happier and really reach our potential as children of God. I love this work, I love this church, and I love the Book of Mormon. I know these things are true. I love you all lots!

-Anziano Benjamin Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment